Huwebes, Abril 19, 2018

Ambitious journey from Boracay to Australia

Never mind that this island resort will be closed to tourists for six months. Joe Alayra is leaving it anyway.
The Filipino-Australian is determined to embark on an ambitious journey – sailing from Boracay to Australia on an outrigger boat on his own.
Alayra, a 54-year-old from Quezon City, expects to be at sea for “around three months alone” on board a paraw, a native boat originally used for fishing.
He will launch his trip on April 26 – the day the government starts evacuating visitors from Boracay and controlling movement in the island to give way to rehabilitation.
“I am now physically, emotionally ready for this feat,” Alayra told a news conference in Kalibo, capital town of Aklan province, on Wednesday.
Alayra, a recently retired United States military officer, said sailing alone has been a longtime dream.
He also wants to showcase the craftsmanship of Filipino boatbuilding. His boatbuilder is from Tablas Island, Romblon province.
Alayra chose April 26 “because it is the time the paraw is expected to be a hundred percent ready.”
A traditional wind-driven paraw could ferry only around three people.
“With the help of my personal boatbuilder, I am determining all possible problems the boat may encounter before I use it for my long journey,” he said.
Apparently Alayra is taking calculated risks – he asked his boatbuilder to install a pedal and a solar panel on the boat.
“I will also be bringing my international Wi-Fi and a drone to post [updates on] my adventure on social media,” he said.
“I told my family and friends not to worry about me so I could focus on my journey,” he added.
This will be his second attempt to go on such a long journey.
Years ago, Alayra said, he tried to embark on a similar sail with a seafaring coach but the latter ditched their plan for a personal reason.
After reaching Australia, Alayra said he intends to return to the Philippines via the same boat. This time – he hopes – he will be with his 24-year-old son.
He said he intends to return his paraw to his boatbuilder in Romblon./

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Villar sets 10th OFW and Family Summit on Nov. 19

AS a sign of their continuing gratitude to our Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs), Senator Cynthia Villar announced the holding of the 10th OF...